
I lost my mom on 2 July 2008.... the person who rejoices in my accomplishments and agonizes in my struggles; the person who thinks I should win every race and succeed at everything I do; the person whose first urge is to protect, shelter and guide - the one who knows what is best for me - or thinks she does; the one who bragged about me in my absence and offered expert advice in my presence. I lost my mom - my biggest fan and most ardent defender. She showed me unconditional love that no one else can understand, much less fill. She had an intimate knowledge of me as a baby and as a child that I myself can never have access to at all. A fundamental part of me has existence only in my mother's memory and when I lost my mom, a part of me is gone, too. She is a point of reference in determining my identity. (I'm the one that looks most like her, people say.) I've lost a piece of who I am. She is the person whose story provides the beginning of my own. I have to wonder - If I am no longer my mother's child, then who am I? Mom looked out for her children. That shield of protection, both physical and emotional, is lost when I lost my mom. I've lost my mom's hug and caress...the complete physical acceptance that a mother can give. I've lost something that can't be replaced, but I have wonderful memories and her example. And I have a sure knowledge of the gospel of Jesus Christ and the plan of salvation that I will see both her and Dad again. They have both left quite a hole. It's never easy - no matter how old you are. There were so many blessings this past week. I'm so grateful that all our children could be there to give me a hug. What would we do without families? I'm so grateful for both my parents and the legacy they left me. Leno said, "Good people go easy." And she did. I love you mom.
3 comments:
Linda,
Grandma will continue living on in your heart. She was wonderful and you have so many of those same characteristics instilled in you. She really did teach us a lot and I feel like I am missing her more than ever. Thanks heavens for the gospel and the plan our Savior has for us. Hang in there.
Linda,
I fixed Sara's name. Thanks for letting me know. People spell my name wrong all the time so I can understand wanting to spell it right. Anyway, my e-mail address is mickfam1205@gmail.com Just incase you want it. Take care and I'll talk with you later.
Did you write all that? That was really nice. We are glad that we were able to make it even if it was just for a little while. Thanks to the gospel, we are sure that grandma is happy getting reaquainted with family and friends that have already passed.
Post a Comment